After a year living in a remote, wooden house in the hills above Scott’s Valley, we’re moving back to a relatively normal house in Santa Cruz. because even though we love small town life and the redwoods, we love the ocean more. Even so, these are just some of the things I’ll miss…
1) Seeing weird animals in your garden, like a boar or an immense deer or hearing strange creatures at night that I can’t identify.
2) During a storm, lying in the bathtub looking up at the sky-light windows, watching the giant redwoods swaying above and huge drops of water falling at you like bullets.
3) There’s a steam railroad nearby. The train’s whistle gives off a 19th Century bellow that bounces off all the trees and makes your spine tingle and you feel, just for a second, like you’re part of America.
4) Walking in the forest at dawn, wet mist and loud birds.
5) Lounging out in the dappled afternoon sunlight, drinking a beer and listening to the leaves and the woodpeckers and the kids screaming and running wild.